Friday, December 16, 2011

strawberry shortcut

decadent dessert for a busy weeknight - strawberry shortcut

After another day packed with activity, I felt a keen desire to make something special for the kids this evening. It was a typically busy afternoon of juggling schedules, commitments and homework but thanks to a couple of my favorites from Trader Joe's, we were able to pull it off. Decadent for a mid-week treat: Strawberry Shortcakes!

Our middle school student is applying himself nicely this year to his more strenuous classes - but if you ask him his favorite - on many days it will be Family and Consumer Science.  In it he has learned kitchen science and recipe organization skills that make him an eager and helpful assistant in our kitchen.  Strawberry Shortcake was one of his favorites and so when I saw some organic strawberries at the market today (yes, I know they are out of season - but I felt like we deserved a splurge!), I hoped we could make time to use them tonight for dessert.  Ryan took the lead and our combo was a success. I hope it inspires you to make something a little special when the days get short and the 'to-do lists' long.

PS - My DF, Claire, gives a great strawberry tutorial on her blog, cookwithclaire.org


Strawberry Shortcut
adapted from Family and Consumer Science at McCall Middle School


Ingredients
1 tube of Trader Joe's refrigerator biscuits
1 pint strawberries, organic please!
2 T sugar
whipped cream
(we used pre-made Cabot's; you can easily whip your own)

Directions


1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Rinse the strawberries, drain and pat dry with paper towels.  Core, quarter and toss gently in a bowl with 2 T sugar.  Let rest while you prepare the biscuits.

3.  Open container of biscuits and lay out on a baking sheet.  I used a silpat but you can use parchment paper to prevent the bottom from 'over-browning' and to make clean-up a snap.




4. Bake the biscuits as directed.  Pull from oven and while cooling a bit, toss the strawberries in their 'juice'.



5. Split the biscuits in half and top one half with a heaping tablespoon of strawberries.  Top those with whipped cream if desired and then place the top back on the biscuit.

Yummy!  My kids eat them like sandwiches.  Could these be supper?  I think my mother did that on a few oppressively hot summer nights.


No comments:

Post a Comment