Tuesday, December 20, 2011

roasted winter squash soup

I've got sunshine ... on a cloudy day ...
Don't you miss Oprah?  I know - she's got her own network - but I enjoyed our dates at 4pm.  One of the first soups I ever made was inspired by a broadcast that showcased her personal chef (at the time), Rosie Daley.  Her book, In the Kitchen with Rosie, was an instant success and graces my own cookbook collection.

I think the secret to this soup isn't the apple - it's the chili powder.  You can start small - with just one teaspoon - and season to your taste.  I adapted Rosie's recipe to what I have in the kitchen but will note changes.  This soup is a feast for the senses - smooth, warm, sunset-orange, with a kick.

Roasted Winter Squash Soup
adapted from 'In the Kitchen with Rosie', by Rosie Daley

Ingredients:
1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 2" pieces
(you can use buttercup, kabocha, etc. - looking for about 2 1/2 lbs)
2 onions, peeled and quartered (I used 1 white onion + 1 shallot; I've used red onions, too)
5 cloves garlic, peeled (she calls for 3)
3 tart apples, peeled and chopped into a large dice (she calls for 2 but mine were small)
2 T evoo
1 T chili powder (timid taste buds? start with 1 t!)
2 t kosher salt
4-5 c water (I use water but the original calls for vegetable stock)


Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees while you chop.

2. On a large rimmed baking sheet (or roasting pan), toss everything but the water together and spread in a single layer.

3.  Roast for 40 minutes. Every 10 minutes (or so) give veggies a quick toss to ensure they cook evenly and don't stick to the pan.

4.  Remove when the veggies are fork-tender and slightly browned.  Puree in batches - I did two; each time with half the veggies and 2 c water.

5. Pour into a large soup pot and reheat.  Add additional chili powder, salt or pepper to taste.  If the soup is too thick for your liking - add more water.  I often find it thickens while stored in the refrigerator.
Soup to-go!


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment