Monday, November 14, 2011

Totally Classic - Tomato Soup


This is a classic pantry soup that I go to over and over. Growing up it was Campbell's all the way but I remember one afternoon in Sheila Kalmus' kitchen, hunched over a steaming bowl of her mother's amazing homemade version. I love food memories and the way aromas can awaken long forgotten meals and celebrations. I'm sure you have your own that continue to inspire.

Our take on the classic tomato soup is inspired by two pantry recipes - a Tuscan Tomato soup published years ago in Cooking Light and another version on a recent episode of Mad Hungry. (Love that Lucinda Scala Quinn!)








Ingredients:

2 T EVOO
1 shallot, minced (onion can be substituted here)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 t kosher salt
1 t Italian Seasoning
2 - 28 oz whole tomatoes
28 oz broth/ stock (I fill 1 of the tomato cans with my own stock or broth from a box)
1 piece Parmesan rind
1-2 T balsamic vinegar
cracked black pepper


Directions:

1. Heat 2 T EVOO in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Saute the aromatics: shallot, garlic and carrot with the salt for 5 minutes or so, until soft.

2. Add the tomatoes (I like to break them up a bit), the italian seasoning and the broth. Bring to a simmer and add the rind. Let simmer for 30-45 minutes. Season to taste.

3. Puree in blender. (I did 3 batches)

4. I rewarm with the balsamic and serve with extra grated Parm. Keeps in the fridge, can be frozen for future use.

Great with Grilled Cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment