Wednesday, November 16, 2011

sloppy joes from scratch


I'm definitely on a 'comfort food' kick.  Today I'm going to make sloppy joes from scratch.  As much as my kids love the original Manwich, I'm trying to eliminate most processed foods from the pantry.  Fingers crossed that we find a yummy compromise!


Ingredients:

1 T EVOO
1/2 onion, chopped fine
1/2 red pepper, chopped fine
1 carrot, grated
5 cloves of garlic, minced
kosher salt
2.5 lbs ground meat (I used a combo of chicken and beef)
3 c tomato sauce (I used Hunt's)
1/4 c brown sugar
2 T tomato paste
1 T red wine vinegar
1 T Worcestshire sauce
1 t dry mustard
1 t chili powder


Directions:



1. Saute the aromatics till they soften (5-7 minutes) in the EVOO: onion, red pepper, carrot & garlic.  Sprinkle with a little kosher salt to help release the moisture.

2. Add the ground meats and brown.  (I didn't really have any grease to remove since I was using grass fed beef (very lean) and chicken.)

3. Combine all the other ingredients to make the sauce.  Pour over the meat and veggie combo, bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or longer.

Viola!

PS - This was a huge hit! Our boys and friend devoured the sandwiches.  Great for busy nights when it is every man for themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment