flavorful broth & green veggies
Making a quick soup with tortellini and broth is a favorite weekend fix. Cold winter weather is finally settling in to our New England town and this lunch satisfies a busy, hungry crowd. You can keep it simple with just pasta, broth and a handful of fresh herbs. Or you can deepen the flavor and increase the nutritional value with extra veggies.
This is a quick pantry meal you'll definitely repeat!
|with these staples, soup is on!|
1 t butter
1 anchovie, minced (optional)**
1/2 onion, diced
1 shallot diced
32 oz chicken broth
3 c water
2 bay leaves
1/2 t salt
2 c chopped veggies (asparagus, broccoli, carrots, celery, green beans, pears)
1 package tortellini (pick your favorite)
|mince your anchovies before adding to the pan|
|See how the anchovies melt and dissolve in the butter?!|
1. While you warm a soup pot with the evoo and butter inside, mince one anchovie filet (if using) and dice your onion and shallot. Add both the onion and shallot to the pan, saute for 5 minutes over medium heat, until the onion is translucent. You're not looking to brown them.
2. If you are using carrots and celery, add them at this time. Chop your veggies while you watch the saute pan. I prefer bite-size pieces (1" or so). I used broccoli and asparagus today because they were in the crisper. I've also used green beans, frozen peas, carrots and celery.
3. Once the onion is translucent, (and your carrots and celery have softened) add the broth, water and bay leaves. Bring to a boil.
4. Check your tortellini package for cooking time. My package said 4-6 minutes. (You'll want the soup to be finished when the tortellini are cooked through. My broccoli and asparagus need a little extra time so I added them first.) Add the veggies, turn down the heat to simmer. I gave my veggies 2 minutes and then added the tortellini.
5. I use this time to prepare small salami sandwiches. A little cheese on top and a couple minutes under the broiler - yum!
6. Once the tortellini are cooked - you are ready to serve. Warm, comforting, yummy!
|Soup with salami sandwiches - Delish!|